Thank you for your interest in our Innovation Platform! We are excited to work with you.
In order to ensure a smooth experience for you, as well as for our mutual clients, please review these guidelines. They will provide you with a helpful overview to developing code that uses our API, and planning to release that code to clients. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us.
We recommend the following process for developing your code, to ensure a successful experience for you and for clients:
- Request your sandbox API key. Once you've determined that you need an API key to implement a feature, please send us a request for an API key on our sandbox database. Please provide a clear description of your intended functionality, and feel free to include URLs or other references if the provided text area is insufficient.
- Development and discovery. Plan out your integration and implement the relevant code. In particular, if you are uncertain as to how you should map data from your system into ours, or vice versa, please get in touch; we are happy to help you iron out these questions.
- Determine billing impacts, and identify technical requirements.
- As your new code comes together, you should have a good idea how your integration will impact usage of our system. Please consider whether your integration may impact client billing, or whether you will need an enterprise pricing package. See the Billing and usage section for more details.
- You should also have an understanding of the technical requirements of your integration. Determine which API routes your code uses, as well as any other assumptions that your code needs to make about our system - e.g., whether a specific contact type is needed when posting canvass results. See the Technical requirements section for more details.
- Finally, please provide us with the details we need to effectively communicate with our mutual clients, including: a good synopsis of the functionality you've developed; the date you anticipate on-boarding your first production clients; and any other details that may be relevant. Please give us at least a week's notice, so that we may prepare our systems to properly configure your production keys.
- Soft launch. We recommend identifying a small handful of beta clients who will be the first users of the new integration. This beta period helps ensure that any last-minute wrinkles are addressed efficiently. Please note that these clients will need to request a production key via the Support Request system in our user interface, as outlined below in the "Key generation and hand-off" section.
- Celebrate! Once you are confident that the beta period is a success, it's time to make the integration widely available, and to publicize it.
Once your app is launched, your clients will need API keys in our system, and there may be questions or issues that arise in production. Please see the sections Key generation and hand-off and Questions and bug reports to prepare for these scenarios. Finally, please be aware that your integration may be working with sensitive data; in order to protect privacy and to ensure the security of client data, please ensure good data security practices; see the Data management section for more details.